In the late seventies, the Thai
Government invited submissions for the development of a
compressor manufacturing plant that would supply the needs
of the many local makers of domestic refrigerators. Kulthorn
Kirby was the outcome.
The success of the Kulthorn Kirby submission
was largely due to its being a completely independent supplier,
and its ability to supply the proven and widely accepted
Tecumseh range of compressors. It began as a joint venture
whose major partners were the Kulthorn Group (Thailand)
and James N. Kirby Pty Limited (Australia), but which also
had as shareholders other Thai interests, including refrigerator
manufacturers. Tecumseh’s resources, as the designer and
a manufacturer of their compressor range, and the involvement
of Kirby, the Australian Tecumseh manufacturing licensee,
gave the new company strong technical backing.
Over nearly thirty years of operation,
KKC’s resources have grown and the company is now part of
the highly integrated Kulthorn manufacturing group which
supplies castings, sintered parts, forged steel components
and electrical magnet wire to KKC and to other local manufacturers.
Within KKC, such diverse operations as steel coil slitting,
component machining, deep drawing of steel components, aluminium
diecasting and electric motor manufacture contribute to
a highly efficient operation.
The compressor range and production volumes
have also expanded, and a selection of Sanyo domestic refrigerator
compressors, made under license, complements the basic KKC
range. Air conditioning models and commercial refrigeration
compressors have become increasingly important components
of KKC’s product portfolio, and the company is now able
to offer increasingly larger compressors.
KKC is proud to be the leading independent manufacturer
of quality hermetic compressors and refrigeration systems
within ASEAN, and brings its many skills to strengthen the
partnerships it has forged with its customers.
Some of the key events in KKC’s history
- 1980 Kulthorn Kirby (KKC) was established
on 24th March, and plant construction
started in July.
- 1981 Production of AE compressors
started on 8th August.
- 1982 Grand opening on 13th January.
Motor production commenced mid-year.
- 1985 Pump kit production began.
- 1989 Production of AZ small refrigerator
- 1990 KKC Apprentice Centre opened.
- 1991 Company listed on the Stock Exchange
of Thailand on 22nd February.
- 1993 Non-CFC and AW (1 to 2.5HP) compressor
- 1998 CE mark, CB and ISO 9002:1994
- 2000 ISO 14001:1996 certified.
- 2001 WJ compressor production started,
ISO 9001:2000 certified and UL
approved, ref. SA 12028
- 2002 OHSAS 18001:1999 certified.
- 2004 KKC acquired 80% of the newly
named company, Kulthorn Premier
Company, Ltd. (KPC), producing small hermetic compressors
license to Sanyo Electric Company, Japan.
- 2005 ISO 17025:1999 and ISO 14001:2004
- 2006 20 millionth compressor produced
on 21st February.
- 2007 KA (3 to 6 HP) and LA ((7 to
12 HP) compressors were added to KKC
- 2008 Steel coil slitting plant opened
To be the leader in the motor compressor business in ASEAN
To manufacture quality motor compressors with on-time delivery
and at a competitive price